Advanced Vetcare’s Social Media page
Our facebook and Instagram feeds are displayed below. We would love you to follow our social media and get a closer look at the day-to-day happenings of our busy referral practice.
3 weeks ago
A huge thanks to everyone following our page - we have just hit 3000 followers and look forward to sharing the ups and downs of our busy practice with you. Thanks to our fantastic clients - your dedication to your pets combined with our veterinary efforts can lead to some great outcomes in often stressful and difficult situations. The Advanced Vetcare Team ... See MoreSee Less
Zena recently visited our surgery department for treatment of a mass on her left Achilles tendon. A sample of the mass was sent to the laboratory for analysis and was found to be a soft tissue sarcoma. Soft tissue sarcomas are a group of malignant cancers that arise from skin, subcutaneous connective tissue such as fat, muscle, cartilage, fibrous connective tissue, nerves and small blood vessels. Zena had a CT performed to check for tumour spread. Fortunately for Zena, there was no evidence of spread. Due to the location of the tumour, the usual treatment would include a hindleg amputation. However Zena also has a failing Achilles tendon on her right hindleg so she would not likely tolerate life as an amputee in the way most dogs do. Also, due to the size and location of the mass, surgical removal was not possible. Luckily Zena has two extremely dedicated owners who were keen to proceed with an uncommon approach. So Dr David Hall and Dr Steph Lane proceeded to make a custom made prosthetic leg to support her. As you can see from the photos and videos, Zena has made great progress and is now using her new leg extremely well! We are so happy with Zena's progress and seeing her back to her usual self! ... See MoreSee Less
Cats and dogs sometimes love to eat strange things. While many of these things pass through the intestinal tract uneventfully, they may sometimes get lodged in the digestive tract and cause a condition called a "foreign body obstruction".
A foreign body obstruction is a potentially life-threatening condition where the obstructed segment of bowel becomes inflamed and eventually devitalised if not addressed promptly when the foreign body is unable to pass through.
Symptoms to look out for:
Abdominal tenderness or pain
Lack of appetite; anorexia
Behavioral changes such as biting or growling when picked up
If you are concerned your pet is experiencing any of these symptoms please contact the clinic on 03 9092 0400 any time of the day. ... See MoreSee Less
**For all of our referring veterinarians**
We will be having an event in Fitzroy on Thursday 23rd of May with Dr Laura Brockley, Dr Joycelyn Tran and Dr David Hall presenting on intrathoracic oncology.
There will be case discussion also if you would like to bring a case along, we can help you get to the bottom of it!
As always, the venue will provide a delicious 2 course meal and beverages.
We would love to see you there, please lodge your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org ... See MoreSee Less
We were so pleased to see a long standing patient of Dr Brockley's visit our Oncology department for a revisit this week. Luka was diagnosed with a nasal adenocarcinoma in October 2016 and has been treated with radiation therapy, chemotherapy and now targeted therapy. It has now been over 2.5 years since his diagnosis and his cancer remains present, but well controlled. The patch of white hair (called leukotrichia) over his left eye is secondary to his previous radiation therapy and we think it makes him look very cool! ... See MoreSee Less
Meet Maple, a very sweet 11 month old border collie who ingested a large amount of grapes and is currently receiving treatment with our emergency department.
Grape toxicity in dog can cause kidney damage and the development of kidney failure. This can show as vomiting, lack of appetite and lethargy.
Raisin and grape ingestion can be fatal if left untreated.
If your pet has eaten raisins or grapes please contact the clinic for further advice.
Phone: 03 9092 0400 ... See MoreSee Less
Chocolate contains both theobromine and caffeine, both can speed the heart rate and stimulate the nervous system of dogs.
Chocolate toxicity can be fatal, if your dog has ingested chocolate please contact the clinic immediately on 03 9092 0400
Knowing how much and what kind of chocolate your dog ate will help our friendly staff determine if you have an emergency.
Happy Easter Monday from the team at Advanced Vet Care. ... See MoreSee Less